An Undershaw Student
At Undershaw our provision is as unique as our learners.
Our student profile is diverse but our learners are likely to present with mild to moderate levels of the following:
- Speech, language, and communication difficulties
- Sensory process disorders
- Specific learning difficulties, e.g., Dyslexia
- Developmental co-ordination disorder
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders
- ASD and associated learning difficulties
- Anxiety and / or Depression
- Medical vulnerabilities including hemiplegia and chromosome disorders
Given our student profile and the education we wish to provide, we believe that learning:
- is a life long skill that goes far beyond school days and traditional classroom environments
- can take place in a variety of settings
- is more likely to take place effectively when conditions for learning are best matched to a child’s individual needs
- is more likely to be successful when the young person is involved in planning for his/her learning and has some responsibility for it.
We also recognise that many children in our care have:
- missed a lot of schooling and have significant gaps in their learning
- disengaged from all, or some, aspects of their learning or have become disaffected with it
- lost confidence in their ability to learn
- have a poor self-image of themselves as learners
- reluctance to return to some or all aspects of learning for a variety of reasons.
We take pride in our innovative offer. The pillars of our provision are at our core, but what is just as vital to our success is ‘how we do it’.
She’s made friends and really looks forward to coming to school.Post 16 parent
At all times our family felt supported.Post 16 parent
J has felt able to put her trust in the school from her very first day.Post 16 parent
E has many years ahead of him at Undershaw and I am excited about the opportunities he is going to get.Year 4 parent
The world is kind, because I have now found a better school.Elliott
Whilst supporting the students with such a fantastic provision, we have certainly felt encouraged as parents tooYear 4 parent
I absolutely have my trust in the leadership team, the wonderful staff and the vision for the school going forward.Current parent
The emotional support and advice has been wonderfulYear 4 parent
I’m thrilled both my children get to reap the benefits of such a high quality educationYear 4 parent
Our daughter commented to me after her first day that the difference in atmosphere was enormous.Post 16 parent